Treating hard water can be beneficial in many ways, and it is becoming more common as time goes on. Some areas suffer from hard water much more than others, and if your home is in this category then then treating hard water is worth taking into serious consideration.
What is hard water?
Hard water is, quite simply, water that has a higher concentration of minerals in comparison to soft water, particularly calcium and magnesium.
How can I tell if I have hard water?
There are some telltale signs you can look out for to tell if you need to be thinking about treating hard water.
• A build up of limescale in your kettle, on your taps or in plugholes.
• Your glassware comes out of the dishwasher looking foggy or spotty
• Your clothes feel scratchy or you struggle to keep them clean
• You have problems with low water pressure
• Your hair doesn’t feel silky and smooth even after conditioning
• Your home costs more to heat than others of a similar size (check with your friends)
Why would I consider treating hard water? What’s the big deal?
Although drinking hard water may have slight health benefits in comparison to softened water (which has a slightly higher sodium level due to the softening process), hard water can cause problems:
• The build-up of limescale can cause blocked pipes, low water pressure, reduced boiler efficiency, boiler breakdowns, and damage to washing machines and dishwashers
• Hard water doesn’t dissolve soap nearly as well as soft water. This means that clothes won’t be as thoroughly cleaned, and could also feel scratchy and unpleasant due to a build up of detergent
• In the same vein, hair and skin suffers from the use of hard water
How do I go about treating hard water?
A water softener is installed as part of your mains water system, and removes the calcium and magnesium from your water supply. There are a few different types of water softener available to suit different budgets and different needs.
If you’re considering treating hard water, contact ACR Plumbing and Heating. We can talk over your options with you, help you decide which water softener is best for your home, and provide you with a no obligation estimate for the softener and its installation. As an established company of over 30 years, you can rely on us for a professional and reliable service. Our experienced tradesmen are trained and qualified to the highest standard, and our customer service is second to none.
Call us today on 01-4979838 to find out more about water softener installation. We provide a huge range of general plumbing services, as well as gas boiler servicing and repairs.