Toilets are so important in your home and it is vital that they stay in good condition and in working order. Toilets don’t last forever. There’ are a lot of things that can go wrong with a toilet and it is important not to ignore any of the following or you may end up with a non-functioning toilet.
- Always check to see if any cracks appear anywhere on the toilet.
- If you notice water around your toilet it is a sign that something is not right, and you most likely need to either repair or replace your toilet.
- If the toilet moves when you sit on it something is wrong.
- How old is your toilet, if it is older than you it just might be time to replace it.
AVERAGE PLUMBING LIFESPANS OF YOUR TOILET
- Handle: there is no distinct time frame, but you should replace your toilet handle if: You have to jiggle it to stop the water from running
- Flappers, trip levers, fill valves, fittings, and plumbing connections: 4-5 years.
- Wax seals: 20-30 years.
- You can use the toilet immediately
- When replaced it is recommended that you do not wash the floor for 24 hours to allow for seals to dry.
SELECTING A NEW TOILET
Today there is such a large range in toilets and so it is important that you consider a number of things prior to selection:
Toilets are not all the same size, so it is important that you measure the round-in so that the replacement measures the same. (The toilet rough-in refers to the distance from the finished wall to the centre of the toilet’s floor drain or waste outlet. Most toilets have a rough-in of 12 inches, although it’s not uncommon for older homes to have an unusual size such as 10″ or 14″).
There is a variety of types of toilets to choose from and a range of styles so researching one that best suits your bathroom and space available is advisable.
Close coupled toilets: (the most traditional types of toilets, floor standing unit with a visible cistern behind the seat). These toilets suit most bathrooms due to the shapes and styles available.
Back to wall toilets: these are more modern with the cistern hidden behind a partition wall or furniture unit. They are great for smaller ensuite or under the stair’s bathrooms.
Wall hung toilets: (these toilets appear to float above the floor with no visible cistern or pedestal. They are easy to clean, space savers, beautiful designed for any modern bathroom)
High level toilets: (these toilets have the cistern mounted high up on a wall, with a long flush pipe that connects to the pad. They come with a chain pull flush)
Contemporary toilets: (they sit flush to the wall with no plumbing on display, with clean, precise lines and simple shapes. They usually have a push button, dual water-saving flushes).
Finding the best plumber to take care of your toilet installation can be tricky. Unfortunately, there are always going to be cowboys in every trade. In order to ensure that the plumber you choose for your job is competent, there are lots of things you can do.
ASK FRIENDS AND FAMILY
Ask around to see if anyone you know has used a plumber for their own toilet installation – or indeed other plumbing work – recently. This isn’t a fail-safe way of finding a competent plumber, however, it can give you an idea of how a company deals with its customers. Do they arrive on time? Are they tidy while they’re working? Did they finish the job when they said they would? Did it cost what they said it would cost?
CHECK THEIR CREDENTIALS
- Read online reviews/ testimonials before you choose a plumber to see what reputation they have.
- How reliable are they?
- Do they turn up on time and when they say they will?
- Do they leave your home clean when they complete the job?
- Do they complete the work to your satisfaction?
- Is the price quoted what you paid?
WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE ACR PLUMBING AND HEATING?
- We are an established company with over 30 years’ experience, ensuring that we have the knowledge to carry out toilet installation to the highest of professional standards.
- ACR Plumbing and Heating will always charge competitive and reasonable prices.
- We will carry out a full assessment of the job and provide you with a free, no obligation quote.
- We will turn up on time and when we say we will.
- We are registered on the RGII as well as being members of the National Guild of Master Craftsmen, so you can be assured of our competence and the quality of our work.
- We can carry out any other plumbing works you require, from a boiler repair to a complete bathroom renovation.
- We are a trusted company, as our testimonials prove.
If you’re looking for someone to carry out your toilet installation, contact us on 01-4979383 or by email today for a quote and see what we can do to help you.
In the late-19th century, a London plumbing impresario named Thomas Crapper manufactured one of the first widely successful lines of flush toilets. Crapper did not invent the toilet, but he did develop the ballcock, an improved tank-filling mechanism still used in toilets today. Crapper’s name would become synonymous with toilets.