ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SHOWERS
WHAT SHOWER SHOULD I CHOOSE
Choosing an electric or power shower installation depends on what type of water system you have. If your cold water comes directly from the mains or you have a combination boiler, then you can choose between a mixer shower without a pump and an electric shower.
If you have a gravity-fed system (a cold tank in the attic and a hot water cylinder in the hotpress), you can choose between a power shower, an electric shower, or a mixer shower with or without a pump.
TYPES OF SHOWERS
Electric. Electric showers heat water on demand, taking it from the mains cold water supply and passing it over a heating element inside the shower unit. …
- Gravity Systems
- Combination (Combi) Boiler Systems.
ELECTRIC POWER SHOWERS
- Electric showers are one of the most versatile types of shower available. They are very convenient when you want an instant hot shower.
- They are efficient as they only heat the water used.
- They generally are cheaper to run as they use less energy, less water and heat up quickly.
- Electric showers work much better if you have a gravity-fed system (a cold tank in the attic and a hot water cylinder in the hot-press)
- Electric showers take water from your cold-water supplies.
- They can use an electric pump to increase water pressure. However, they rely on the pressure of your mains supply of water and you cannot connect to a shower pump if you have a combi boiler system.
- A mixer shower mixes a hot water and cold-water supply to a chosen temperature.
- They can work with either low or high-pressure supplies.
- Unlike power showers they do not use a pump system and will not increase the low pressure of a water flow.
- If your supply of hot water is plentiful and has a powerful flow mixer showers gives you more of a boost than an electric shower.
- A thermostatic mixer prevents any sudden changes in the water supply or temperature to the shower.
- It maintains an exact water temperature for the duration of your shower.
- As the thermostatic shower only uses hot and cold water as needed in the long run your water-heating bill should be reduced.
- Digital showers use electricity to run a thermostat to control water flow and temperature. They are easier to control and more accurate when it comes to water temperature.
- Ideal when you are running late and in a hurry as there is no waiting for the water to heat up.
- A digital shower has a digital thermostat within the shower unit. The thermostat controls the water temperature and ensures that regardless of what other appliances are in use in your home you do not have any changes in water temperature in your shower.
- Digital showers are controlled by the thermostat and are more accurate than mixer showers in ensuring there are no spikes in temperature.
- Combi-boiler heating systems will only work with digital showers.
GRAVITY SHOWER SYSTEMS
- Gravity fed showers receive water from your cold-water tank in your attic and from your hot water cylinder in the hot press.
- Gravity fed showers receive water under gravity and mixes them together to reach the desired temperature.
COMBINATION (COMBI) BOILER SYSTEMS
- Combi boilers are dependable across electric, digital and mixed showers and run off the mains pressure.
- They are mains fed and so you cannot use a pump to provide a boost to the water pressure.
- To ensure that your combi-boiler is powerful enough check the flow rate – it needs to be at lease 12-15 liters a minute. The bigger the shower head the greater pressure required.
CHOSE A PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER FOR THE INSTALLATION OF YOUR SHOWER
When you’re looking for someone to carry out your shower installation, you need to make sure that the plumbing company you select are well established, experienced and reputable. You also need to make sure that they employ qualified staff who deliver exceptionally high standards of workmanship.
For a shower installation Dublin, your best bet is to get in touch with ACR Plumbing and Heating. Not only can we take care of fitting your new electric shower, we can also install a new shower cubicle if required – or even a whole new bathroom, if you like! There’s no need to hire tradespeople from different companies when we can do it all to the highest professional standards, and for the right price.
OTHER SERVICES WE OFFER:
- Supply and fit new bathrooms, including all tiling and electrics
- Repair burst pipes and any leaks in your home
- Fit or repair taps, WC’s, cisterns, baths and basins
- Install water filters and storage tanks
- Install washing machines and dishwashers
- Remove and replace all types of ball tap
- Install, repair and service gas boilers and appliances, as well as providing many other plumbing/heating related services (and all of our engineers are RGII registered, for your safety and peace of mind)
- We are registered on the SEAI Home Energy Saving scheme for combi boiler and heating controls upgrade grants.
COST OF PROFESSIONAL SHOWER INSTALLATION
The majority of the cost of a new shower installation is due to labour fees. And while you might think you’ll save some money by having a go at doing it yourself, you may end up paying more in the long run. Repairing a botched job usually costs a lot more to put right than getting it done right to begin with.
It typically costs about €950.00 plus vat @ 13.5% to supply and fit for a brand new electric shower. This price includes all the piping necessary for your shower installation.
If you already have an electric shower in place, but its not working, it can usually be more cost effective in the long to replace it. The cost to replace an existing electric shower, usually costs €450 plus vat @ 13.5%. These prices are based on supplying & fitting Trition T90 or Mira Elite, which are the brands and models of electric shower we recommend.
You can rest assured that ACR Plumbing and Heating are an established and reputable company, skilled not only in our trades but in our commitment to customer service.
Our reputation is built on trust, and we always ensure our customers are 100% happy with the service they receive from us.
We have over 30 years’ experience within the industry, an impressive portfolio of clients and fantastic customer service history. We cover all parts of Dublin city and county and we guarantee:
- Prompt and consistent service
- Economical prices
- No hidden costs
- Free estimates
Contact us today here or on 01-4979838 for a free, no-obligation quote.