A water tank is a container for storing water for use in the home over a number of different applications. It can supply any number of uses include drinking, washing, cooking, and the flushing of toilets.
Because the water is for domestic use, it’s important that it is clean and free from impurities.
WHY REPLACE MY WATER STORAGE TANK?
Your tank may be leaking or damaged and need urgent replacement to protect further damage to your home. Old water tanks may have corrosion and rust which can seep into your water supply and contaminate your water. If you haven’t cleaned your water tank all sorts of things we would prefer not to know about could have gotten into the tank and again contaminate your water supply. When you do decide to replace your tank it should always be installed by a licenced plumber.
REPLACING YOUR WATER STORAGE TANK
When choosing a storage tank replacement, you may wish to consider the following.
STEEL STORAGE TANKS
Although steel tanks can still be found in many homes, they do have some limitations.
- They can suffer from rust and corrosion.
- They are heavy and often need to be lifted by crane into your property.
- Where the tank is to be placed will need a lot of preparation before installation can occur.
- They are circular with a coned roof and may not suit the space you have available.
- They often have parts welded or bolted together that can weakened over time.
- Steel tanks are galvanised with a zinc wall which, while not a health risk, can affect the taste of drinking water and some steel tanks may have harmful level of lead.
PLASTIC STORAGE TANKS
- They are lightweight and can be moved into position by hand.
- They can sit on any flat surface or underground out of sight.
- They are available in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- They don’t rust or suffer from corrosion giving them longevity.
- They are strong and durable.
- Plastic tanks are produced using BPA-free polyethylene plastic which is 100% safe for storing drinking water.
CLEANING WATER STORAGE TANKS
Sludge or sediments can build up in your tank over time. Tanks should be cleaned regularly at least once a year to prevent contamination of your water supply.
You can clean the tank using just water or use a high-pressure water jet cleaner along with anti-bacterial solutions and disinfectants.
*If cleaning the tank yourself, make sure you get professional advice on what chemicals are safe to use and ensure you follow all safety directions and wear appropriate protective clothing.
If in any doubt about the process call in a licensed plumber so as to prevent causing harm to you or your family.
WHO SHOULD I CHOOSE FOR MY WATER STORAGE TANK REPLACEMENT?
As with any job or service that involves strangers coming into your home, it’s always imperative to go with a name you can trust. Here at ACR Plumbing and Heating, we have over 30 years’ experience in the industry. We supply and fit storage tanks, and will always use the best quality products, which comply with industry regulations.
OTHER REASONS TO CHOOSE ACR PLUMBING:
- We are a C2 registered company and are fully insured with both public liability insurance and employer’s liability insurance
- All of our plumbers are RGII Registered
- Economical prices for a top-quality service
- We are punctual, polite and professional
- We offer no obligation estimates
What To Do If Your Tank Has Already Burst…
We have professionals on-hand to book you in for a plumbing visit quickly and efficiently. Call our office on 01-4979838 to schedule a visit. You an also email here to request an estimate.