After a long day at work you deserve to return home to a warm and cosy home. More often the thoughts of the pending gas bill dropping through the letter box can fill you with dread. One common complaint we hear is from people constantly feeling frustrated that to have hot water they have to heat the whole house.
The problem may lay with the poor functioning of your boiler. If your boiler is older than 10 years, it unlikely to be running efficiently or safely and therefore is costing you more money than necessary.
INCREASING YOUR HOME ENERGY EFFICIENCY
One of the simplest ways to reduce your energy use is by setting your thermostat to a lower temperature. Even reducing your thermostat by 1 degree will result in an energy saving on your energy bills.
You can turn down the temperature using your thermostat or the built-in thermostatic valve on each radiator. The lower the temperature the less energy you will use. These valves are usually marked with numbers o-5. Below is the average temperature of each setting on the radiators. Number 3 – 20°C is recommended for an optimum temperature in each room.
- 0 – 1-6°C
- 1 – 12°C
- 2 – 16°C
- 3 – 20°C
- 4 – 24°C
- 5 – 28°C
WAYS TO CREATE ENERGY SAVING
- Upgrade your boiler to an a-rated gas boiler.
- Upgrade your thermostat to a digital one, making the most of you timer controls will also help you control the length of time your heating is on and control the temperature in individual rooms.
- Insulate the attic, garage, roof and walls to prevent energy wastage.
- Hang thick curtains and insulate your doors and windows.
- Don’t heat every room only the ones you will use.
- It can be a good idea to have water-savings taps, and shower heads installed that will reduce not only the water you use but it will require your boiler to heat less water saving both on your water bills and gas usage.
Another way to get the most from your home heating is installing smart controls. Smart controls not only save you money they are the convenient way to control the temperature in your home regardless of where you are.
BENEFITS OF SMART HEATING CONTROLS
- They are convenient to use
- Can be controlled when out of the house
- You can set the thermostat, so it knows when you are on holiday
- Smart heating systems save you money
- You can save anywhere from 12% to 23% on your heating bills using smart controls
- You have more control over your heating
- Your home will be more comfortable allowing users to create different heating zones. They allow you to set individual temperatures in different rooms to suit all the family
UPGRADE TO A MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT BOILER
It might be time to consider replacing your old boiler to an upgraded A-rated gas boiler and controls and not only will you be more energy efficient but you can receive €1170 back in grants and carbon credits (read more)
SIX SIGNS THAT CAN INDICATE YOU NEED TO REPLACE YOUR BOILER
- If your boiler is older than 10 years.
- Your boiler’s energy efficient rating is lower than an ‘A’
- Your boiler takes longer to heat up than it takes to use it.
- The boilers flame is yellow instead of blue.
- Your boiler is leaking
- Your fuel costs are getting higher.
WHY INVEST IN AN NEW A-RATED COMBI GAS BOILER AND CONTROLS
If your boiler is older than 10 years, it unlikely to be running efficiently or safely and therefore is costing you more money. Bord Gais, say that the average household spends around €805 every year on gas. New boilers can reduce your energy bills by about a third.
- Gas combi boilers come with an efficiency rating of up to 98% much higher than an average conventional system.
- It heats water only when needed.
- You will have a warmer, more comfortable home.
- Your boiler will run much more energy efficiently.
- It will reduce your energy bills.
- With new controls it will be so much easier to control room temperature.
- New models are neater and less bulky.
- New boilers have quieter boiler operation.
- Regular annual servicing will ensure that your boiler continues to run efficiently and safely.
- Older boilers can often be difficult to repair as parts can be obsolete, whereas new boilers come with a manufacturer’s five-year warranty.
- You can also apply for a SEAI grant towards upgrading of your boiler and controls and you could receive €1170 back in grants and carbon credits. Why not check out our finance options.
- By installing Smart Controls you can also maximize the use of your heating and lower your heating bills